Monthly Update from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Presented via email from the USACE for the Aug. 22, 2019 Diversion Board of Authority meeting.
Diversion Inlet Structure Construction
Dewatering of the site is complete. Ames is planning to start excavating the site to grade and partially removing the preload areas after Labor Day. The current construction completion date is June 2023. Anticipated schedule:
- 2019: Dewatering, test pile program, complete channel excavation.
- 2020: Foundations/site work.
- 2021: Concrete piers/abutments. Control building.
- 2022: Install bridge deck, gates, and operating machinery.
- 2023: Paint gates, seed.
- 2024: Turf established.
Wild Rice River Structure Construction
The Request for Proposals (RFP) was issued on 22 July 2019. Proposals are due 5 September. Contract award is anticipated in November 2019. Required construction completion is October 2023. Structure includes 2-40 ft. wide tainter gates.
Red River Structure Design
Construction of the physical model (1:40 scale) continues at USACE ERDC Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory, Vicksburg, MS and should be complete by 18 October (see reverse). Completion of testing is scheduled to be NLT June 2020 and final reports due August 2020. The 35% plans and specs are due February 2020; the overall design schedule is dependent on physical model results and continues to be developed.
Southern Embankment – Plan B Design
Detailed design, incorporating the Plan B alignment, is ongoing. Geotechnical borings have commenced and will continue as additional access is secured by the Diversion Authority. Construction of the Western Tieback is scheduled for late FY2020.
Cultural Resources Mitigation – Diversion Channel Sites
Completing further investigations of two archaeological sites along the Diversion Channel this summer. Field work under Task Order 1 is complete. Of the 53 acres to investigate, only 5 acres remain to clear under the pending Task Order 2; field work is anticipated to restart week of 26 August.
Natural Resource Agency Meeting – 17 September 2019
Quarterly meeting to be held with our natural resource agency partners.
- July 2019 Update from the U.S. Army Corps — July 26, 2019
- USACE FY 2020 Work Plan Provides $100 Million for Project — February 10, 2020
- USACE Awards $59 Million Contract to Build Wild Rice River Control Structure — November 28, 2019
- Project Update – May 2019 — May 31, 2019