Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee Meeting
November 17, 2021
Land Management Committee Meeting Minutes
A regular meeting of the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee was held on November 17, 2021. The following members were present: Mary Scherling, Cass County Commissioner; Kory Peterson, Mayor, City of Horace; Nathan Boerboom, Fargo Division Engineer; Jenny Mongeau, Clay County Commissioner; Arlette Preston, Fargo City Commissioner; Bob Zimmerman, Moorhead City Engineer; Chuck Hendrickson, Moorhead City Council and Duane Breitling, Cass County Commissioner.
Members absent: Bruce Grubb, Fargo City Administrator; Kevin Campbell, Clay County Commissioner and Rodger Olson, Cass County Joint Water Resource District.
Mrs. Scherling called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM. Roll call was taken, and a quorum was present.
2. AGENDA REVIEW
Mr. Zimmerman moved to approve the agenda as presented and Ms. Mongeau seconded the motion. On a voice vote, the motion carried.
3. MEETING MINUTES
Mr. Breitling moved to approve the minutes from October 2021 and Mr. Hendrickson seconded the motion. On a voice vote, the motion carried.
4. INTRODUCTION OF JODI SMITH
Mr. Dodds introduced the new lands director, Jodi Smith. Ms. Smith shared her background and indicated that she is looking forward to working with the team.
5. PROPERTY ACQUISITON STATUS REPORT
Mr. Dodds reported that all parcels along the channel have been acquired. LRED trials are scheduled to begin next year and likely will continue throughout the year. All the parcel acquisitions for the Red River Control Structure were completed last week and a small number of purchase agreements were also signed.
Crown Appraisals continue to work on the flowage easements and anticipate being finished by year-end. Offers will go out to approximately 500 property owners in early 2022.
6. CCJWRD UPDATE
Mr. Dodds reported that they are meeting tomorrow and there will be discussions regarding offers and counteroffers. The board will go into executive session to review and make determinations on the counteroffers.
Pifer’s is currently meeting with tenants to get farmland renewal leases signed and in place for 2022.
7. MCCJPA UPDATE
Ms. Mongeau reported that one negotiation was settled, and two Housing Differential Payments were resolved at the October meeting. The board will meet tomorrow and will review the proposal for the solar garden that is proposed on the Minnesota side. The difference in land values between organic and non-organic farmlands will also be discussed.
8. COMMITTEE UPDATE FOR DA BOARD
Mr. Dodds shared the following status report will be provided to the board tomorrow.
- Continue working on acquiring property for: Drain 27 Wetland Restoration Project, Southern Embankment Reach 2A (SE-2A), Upstream Structures and StructureSites, the Drayton Dam Replacement Project, and Environmental Monitoring Easements
- Acquired property interests on nearly 700 parcels (including those acquired via last resort eminent domain, and including split parcels)
- Completed acquisitions for: Diversion Channel, SE-1, I-29 Road Raise, Wild Rice River Control Structure, Diversion Inlet Structure, and Red River Control Structure (newly completed)
- Appraisal Work
- Appraisals being completed for Upstream Structures (farmsteads, rural residential, etc.)
- The Phase 2 Flowage Easement Valuation Study is scheduled to be complete late 2021
- Key Focus Areas
- On-boarding with Jodi Smith
- Strategies for purchasing Flowage Easements
- Replacement housing and relocation benefits
- Crop Insurance – Focus group meeting in late November
9. OTHER BUSINESS
There was no other business.
10. NEXT MEETING
The next meeting will be December 15, 2021.
Mr. Hendrickson moved, and Ms. Mongeau seconded to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 3:32 PM.