Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee Meeting
May 26, 2021
Land Management Committee Meeting Minutes
A virtual meeting of the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee was held on May 26, 2021. The following members were present: Mary Scherling, Cass County Commissioner; Kory Peterson, Mayor, City of Horace; Bruce Grubb, Fargo City Administrator; Nathan Boerboom, Fargo Division Engineer; Rodger Olson, Cass County Joint Water Resource District; Jenny Mongeau, Clay County Commissioner; Bob Zimmerman, Moorhead City Engineer; Chuck Hendrickson, Moorhead City Council and Arlette Preston, Fargo City Commissioner.
Members absent: Kevin Campbell, Clay County Commissioner and Duane Breitling, Cass County Commissioner.
Mrs. Scherling called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM. Roll call was taken, and a quorum was present.
2. AGENDA REVIEW
Mr. Olson moved to approve the agenda as presented and Mr. Zimmerman seconded the motion. Motion carried.
3. APPROVAL OF APRIL 2021 MINUTES
Mayor Peterson moved to approve the April 2021 minutes and Mr. Hendrickson seconded the motion. Motion carried.
4. PROPERTY ACQUITISITION STATUS REPORT
Mr. Dodds reported that the land needed for the channel has been acquired. To date, 573 parcels have been acquired and 90 parcels are in LRED status. Mr. Dodds also noted that the LRED number has increased from last month due to the addition of a split parcel. Of the 90 parcels in LRED, there are 28 individual property owners.
Mr. Dodds also reported that negotiations continue on Drain 27, the Red River Control Structure and the upstream parcels. Drawings were received on SE-2A from the Corps.
We continue to move forward with obtaining environmental monitoring easements and all the channel work has been completed.
Mrs. Scherling asked if we are on budget and Mr. Dodds stated that with what has been acquired to date, we are tracking on budget. We have spent more but have acquired approximately $16 million in assets.
5. RESOLUTION GRANTING VARIANCE FOR CASS COUNTY FEMA PROPERTIES
This Resolution would grant a variance that states that the parcels that are currently owned by Cass County will remain with Cass County and will not be transferred to CCJWRD.
Mr. Olson made a motion to recommend presenting the Resolution to the Board of Authority for approval and Mr. Boerboom seconded the motion. On a roll call vote, the motion carried.
6. FLOWAGE EASEMENT STUDY
Property owners have been requesting detailed information regarding the flowage easements. Mr. Dodds indicated that Crown is currently compiling data and will be creating a page on the website that explains the easement process more in depth. Mr. Dodds also indicated that additional informational sessions will be offered this summer.
7. ORGANIC LANDS UPDATE
There may be potential to give organic landowners an opportunity to lease other organic land. This may be an option for those that are in the upstream and at risk of flooding, deeming the land non-organic. This will be presented to the MCCJPA at their meeting tomorrow.
8. COMMITTEE UPDATE FOR DA BOARD
The following update will be provided to the Board at the meeting tomorrow:
- Continue working on acquiring property for:
- Drain 27 Wetland Restoration Project
- Red River Control Structure
- Environmental Monitoring Easements
- Southern Embankment Reach 2A (SE-2A)
- Upstream Structures
- Acquired property interests on over 650 parcels (including those acquired via last resort eminent domain, and including split parcels)
- Completed acquisitions for: Diversion Channel, Southern EmbankmenT Reach 1, I-29 Road Raise, Wild Rice River Control Structure, and Diversion Inlet Structure
- Appraisal Work
- Appraisals being completed for Upstream Structures (farmsteads, rural residential, etc.)
- Flowage Easement Valuation Study
- Phase 2 includes over 500 parcels with tillable land in the Upstream Mitigation Area (UMA)
- Developed a special webpage and educational video to explain the process to property owners
- Mitigation Program Development/Refinement (following Settlement Agreement)
- Continue working on acquiring property for:
9. CCJWRD UPDATE
Mr. Olson stated that Mr. Dodds covered all the updates in his report.
10. MCCJPA UPDATE
Mr. Dodds provided an update indicating that an agreement has been reached with one owner and there are three additional parcels that have received their final written offers. Cass County will proceed with LRED if no response is received.
11. MetroCOG UPDATE
There was no update.
12. OTHER BUSINESS
There was no other business.
13. NEXT MEETING-ADJOURNMENT
The next meeting will be June 23, 2021.
Meeting adjourned at 4 PM.