Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee Meeting
May 25, 2022
Land Management Committee Meeting Minutes
A regular meeting of the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee was held on May 25, 2022. The following members were present: Mary Scherling, Cass County Commissioner; Kory Peterson, Mayor, City of Horace; Bruce Grubb, Fargo City Administrator; Nathan Boerboom, Fargo Division Engineer; Chuck Hendrickson, Moorhead City Council; Duane Breitling, Cass County Commissioner; Jenny Mongeau, Clay County Commissioner; Arlette Preston, Fargo City Commissioner and Bob Zimmerman, Moorhead City Engineer.
Members absent: Kevin Campbell, Clay County Commissioner and Rodger Olson, Cass County Joint Water Resource District.
Mrs. Scherling called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM. Roll call was taken, and a quorum was present.
2. AGENDA REVIEW
Mr. Grubb moved to approve the agenda as presented and Mr. Zimmerman seconded the motion. On a voice vote, the motion carried.
3. MEETING MINUTES
Mr. Breitling moved to approve the minutes from March 2022 and Mr. Boerboom seconded the motion. On a voice vote, the motion carried.
4. PROPERTY ACQUISITION STATUS REPORT
Ms. Warren reported that 13 additional parcels were acquired this month. They include flowage easements, temporary construction easements and fee title properties. One purchase agreement was also signed.
`5. MEMO RECOMMENDING THE DISPOSAL OF ORGANIC FARMLANDS
Ms. Smith provided an overview of the organic farmlands disposal recommendation and asked the committee for a recommendation to take to the Board for final approval.
- Establish market value.
- Identify organic farmland owners and producers who are impacted by the comprehensive project. Offer the organic farmland to the impacted organic farmland owners and producers in exchange for necessary land rights.
- If the impacted organic farmland owners and producers do not accept the exchange of land for necessary land rights, then offer the organic farmland to landowners impacted by the Southern Embankment and Associated Infrastructure component in a land exchange.
- If the impacted organic farmland owners and producers do not accept the exchange of land for necessary land rights, then offer the organic farmland to landowners impacted by the Southern Embankment and Associated Infrastructure component in a land exchange. If landowners impacted by the Southern Embankment and Associated Infrastructure component are not interested in a land exchange, then the parcels will be reviewed by the Metro Flood Diversion Authority executive director to determine if the parcels should be deemed excess lands.
- Offer the organic farmland via public sale.
Ms. Mongeau moved to present the organic farmlands disposal recommendation to the Board and Mr. Hendrickson seconded the motion. On a roll call vote, the motion carried.
6. PRAM UPDATE
Ms. Smith reported that the PRAM is getting close to the final ‘draft’ and will go to the Department of Natural Resources in North Dakota and Minnesota for final approval.
7. RIMP UPDATE
The document is to ensure that processes are being applied consistently. To date, three loans have been awarded.
8. GUIDANCE DOCUMENT FOR PARTIALLY IMPACTED STRUCTURE SITES IN THE UMA
This document needs to be in place to ensure that we are being flexible when working with landowners. To date 98% progress has been achieved in the channel; 77% in the Southern Embankment; 100% in the Drayton Dam; 17% in flowage easements and 71% in environmental easements.
9. CCJWRD UPDATE
Ms. Smith reported that they are reviewing the RIMP loans and negotiations continue with the LRED properties.
10. MCCJPA UPDATE
Mr. Hendrickson stated that a full report will be given at the Board meeting.
11. COMMITTEE UPDATE FOR DA BOARD
The following update will be presented at the Board meeting:
Activities and Achievements
- Negotiations are continuing for flowage easements on the tillable farmland parcels and building sites in the UMA
- Acquired property interests on over 769 parcels (Added 13 acquisitions and resolved 8 eminent domain parcels) (including those acquired via last resort eminent domain, and including split parcels)
- Appraisal Work
- Appraisal services Task Orders for all remaining upstream structures are ready for MCCJPA and CCJWRD approval this month
- Appraisal work for SE-2B has started
- Other Key Focus Areas
- Supporting current eminent domain actions and settlement solutions
- Relocations and farmstead re-establishment planning (RIMP Loan Program)
- Finalized guidance document for structures sites on fringe of the UMA
12. OTHER BUSINESS
There was no additional business.
13. NEXT MEETING/ADJOURNMENT
The next meeting will be June 22, 2022. Mr. Breitling moved to adjourn, and Ms. Mongeau seconded the motion. The meeting adjourned at 3:26 PM.