Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee Meeting
March 23, 2022
Land Management Committee Meeting Minutes
- A regular meeting of the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management committee was held on March 23, 2022. The following members were present: Mary Scherling, Cass County Commissioner; Bruce Grubb, Fargo City Administrator; Kevin Campbell, Clay County Commissioner; Nathan Boerboom, Fargo Division Engineer; Rodger Olson, Cass County Joint Water Resource District; Duane Breitling, Cass County Commissioner and Bob Zimmerman, Moorhead City Engineer.
Members absent: Kory Peterson, Mayor, City of Horace; Chuck Hendrickson, Moorhead City Council; Jenny Mongeau, Clay County Commissioner and Arlette Preston, Fargo City Commissioner.
Mrs. Scherling called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM. Roll call was taken, and a quorum was present.
2. AGENDA REVIEW
Mr. Zimmerman moved to approve the agenda as presented and Mr. Campbell seconded the motion. On a voice vote, the motion carried.
3. MEETING MINUTES
Mr. Campbell moved to approve the minutes from February 2022 and Mr. Breitling seconded the motion. On a voice vote, the motion carried.
4. FLOWAGE EASEMENT UPDATE
Ms. Smith reported that 361packets were sent to approximately 200 property owners. Five informational open houses were hosted in Christine, Hickson and Moorhead in the last two weeks. Those in attendance had two consistent questions regarding the dispute resolution board and the crop insurance program. Land agents will contact each landowner to address any questions or concerns and obtain the signed flowage easement.
5. PROPERTY ACQUISITION STATUS REPORT
Mr. Dodds reported that a few more LRED cases have been settled and five property owners have agreed to the appraised values of their properties.
6. CCJWRD UPDATE
Mr. Olson reported that the land agents continue work on farmstead issues and flowage easement offers.
7. MCCJPA UPDATE
Mr. Campbell will provide an update at the board meeting.
8. COMMITTEE UPDATE FOR DA BOARD
The board update is included in the packet and will be presented tomorrow.
- Offer letters sent and negotiations starting for flowage easements on 361 parcels in UMA
- Continue working on acquiring Structures and Structure Sites in UMA, and Environmental Monitoring Easements
- Acquired property interests on over 760 parcels (including those acquired via last resort eminent domain, and including split parcels)
- Appraisals ongoing for Upstream Structures (farmsteads, rural residential, etc.)
- Phase 2 Flowage Easement Appraisals approved by CCJWRD and MCCJPA in February 2022
- Appraisal work will be started for SE-2B in April
Other Key Focus Areas
- Five open house, informational meetings held for upstream property owners (March 14-22)
- Supporting current eminent domain actions and settlement solutions
- Relocations and farmstead re-establishment planning
- 2022 farmland lease agreements Acquisition and Property Mitigation Status
9. OTHER BUSINESS
Ms. Smith reported that the talking points will be sent out electronically and the PRAM is currently being evaluated.
10. NEXT MEETING/ADJOURNMENT
The next meeting will be April 27, 2022.
Mr. Breitling moved to adjourn; the meeting adjourned at 3:17 PM.