Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee Meeting
July 21, 2021
Land Management Committee Meeting Minutes
A virtual meeting of the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee was held on July 21, 2021. The following members were present: Mary Scherling, Cass County Commissioner; Kory Peterson, Mayor, City of Horace; Kevin Campbell, Clay County Commissioner; Nathan Boerboom, Fargo Division Engineer; Jenny Mongeau, Clay County Commissioner; Bob Zimmerman, Moorhead City Engineer; Chuck Hendrickson, Moorhead City Council; Duane Breitling, Cass County Commissioner and Arlette Preston, Fargo City Commissioner.
Members absent: Bruce Grubb, Fargo City Administrator and Rodger Olson, Cass County Joint Water Resource District.
Mrs. Scherling called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM. Roll call was taken, and a quorum was present.
2. AGENDA REVIEW
Mr. Breitling moved to approve the agenda as presented and Mr. Boerboom seconded the motion. Motion carried.
3. PROPERTY ACQUITISITION STATUS REPORT
Mr. Dodds reported that the current focus is on the Red River Control Structure, Drain 27 and SE2-A. There are several flowage easement appraisals currently underway, 581 parcels have been acquired to date and 90 remain in LRED status.
4. PROPERTY EXCHANGE REQUEST
The Cass County Joint Water Resource District (CCJWRD) is requesting that the Diversion Authority approve the exchange of OIN 1121 to Mr. Eric Score to serve as a replacement building site for his home and business. Mr. Score is the current owner of OIN 8385, where he operates Score Brothers Construction and Siding Inc. This parcel is impacted by both the Drain 27 Wetland Restoration Project and the Upstream Mitigation Area, Zone 1. These impacts require the acquisition and displacement of Mr. Score and his property. The requested land exchange will help CCJWRD and the displaced property owner overcome the challenge of finding suitable replacement building sites.
Mr. Breitling moved to approve the property exchange request and Mr. Hendrickson seconded the motion. On a roll call vote, the motion carried.
5. RESOLUTION ESTABLISHING THE ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION BOARD
Mr. Shockley introduced and explained the dispute resolution board and its purpose.
There was lengthy discussion around the reason for the resolution and how the appointment of officers was determined.
Ms. Mongeau moved to approve the resolution as presented and summarized by Mr. Shockley and Mayor Peterson seconded the motion. On a roll call vote, the motion carried with Mrs. Scherling voting nay.
6. UPSTREAM LANDOWNER INFORMATIONAL MEETINGS
Two informational landowner meetings will be held at the Hickson Community Center on July 21 & July 22, 2021. It is an opportunity for affected landowners to express any concerns and have their questions addressed. There will also be a formal presentation demonstrating how the project will operate during a flood. Approximately 320 landowners have been invited.
7. COMMITTEE UPDATE FOR DA BOARD
- Continue working on acquiring property for:
- Drain 27 Wetland Restoration Project
- Red River Control Structure
- Environmental Monitoring Easements
- Southern Embankment Reach 2A (SE-2A)
- Drayton Dam Replacement Project
- Upstream Structures
- Acquired property interests on over 650 parcels (including those acquired via last resort eminent domain, and including split parcels)
- Continue working on acquiring property for:
- Completed acquisitions for: Diversion Channel, Southern Embankment Reach 1, I-29 Road Raise, Wild Rice River Control Structure, and Diversion Inlet
- Appraisal Work
- Appraisals being completed for Upstream Structures (farmsteads, rural residential, )
- The Phase 2 Flowage Easement Valuation Study is on-going
- Landowner Informational Meetings – scheduled for July 21 & 22 to inform upstream property owners about the flowage easement study, property mitigation programs, and project operating plan
8. CCJWRD UPDATE
Mr. Dodds reported that the board continues to contemplate offers and counteroffers. Work is starting on the farmland management program with the P3 selector and will soon be handed off to the proposer to manage.
9. MCCJPA UPDATE
Mr. Campbell indicated that they will be meeting tomorrow. There are a couple of appraisals that will be discussed as well as the housing differential payments and the pest control issue with the cabin that is being relocated to Rollag.
10. MetroCOG UPDATE
There was no update.
11. OTHER BUSINESS
There was no other business.
12. NEXT MEETING-ADJOURNMENT
The next meeting will be August 25, 2021.
Mr. Breitling moved, and Mr. Campbell seconded to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 3:48 PM.