Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee Meeting
February 24, 2021
Land Management Committee Meeting Minutes
A virtual meeting of the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Land Management Committee was held on February 24, 2021. The following committee members were present: Mary Scherling, Cass County Commissioner; Bruce Grubb, Fargo City Administrator; Kevin Campbell, Clay County Commissioner; Nathan Boerboom, Fargo Division Engineer; Chuck Hendrickson, Moorhead City Council; Rodger Olson, Cass County Joint Water Resource District; Duane Breitling, Cass County Commissioner; Jenny Mongeau, Clay County Commissioner and Bob Zimmerman, Moorhead City Engineer.
Members absent: Kory Peterson, Mayor, City of Horace and Arlette Preston, Fargo City Commissioner.
Mrs. Scherling called the meeting to order at 3:13 PM. Roll call was taken and a quorum was present.
- AGENDA REVIEW
Mr. Olson moved to approve the agenda as presented and Ms. Mongeau seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- APPROVAL OF JANUARY 2021 MINUTES
Mr. Olson moved to approve the minutes from January 2021 and Mr. Breitling seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- PROPERTY ACQUISITION STATUS REPORT
Mr. Dodds reported that all of the properties that are needed for the channel have been acquired.
567 properties have been acquired to date and the Phase II flowage easement appraisals have been initiated on 494 properties.
Negotiations continue on the Drain 27 parcels and land for the Red River control structure.
A lot of progress continues to be made and we continue to stay on time and on schedule. It is anticipated that there still may be a handful of properties that will go before Cass County to obtain them via LRED.
- POLICY ON THE DISPOSITION AND MANAGEMENT OF COMPREHENSIVE LAND
Mrs. Scherling introduced the latest “DRAFT” of the land policy. Dialogue transpired and there are a significant number of issues to resolve before it can go to the Board. Ms. Mongeau concurred and is not comfortable rushing the process.
Mr. Breitling made a motion to table the land policy until further review and Mr. Olson seconded the motion. On a roll call vote, the motion carried.
- COMMITTEE UPDATE FOR DA BOARD
Mr. Dodds will be providing the following report to the Board of Authority tomorrow.
- Currently working on acquiring property for: Drain 27 Wetland Restoration Project, Red River Control Structure, and Upstream Structures
- Completed acquisitions for: Diversion Channel, Southern Embankment Reach 1, I-29 Road Raise, Wild Rice River Control Structure, and Diversion Inlet Structure
- Acquired property interests on nearly 600 parcels (including those acquired via last resort eminent domain, and including split parcels)
- Appraisal Work
- Appraisals being completed for: Red River Control Structure, Environmental Monitoring Easements, Upstream Structures (farmsteads, rural residential, etc.)
- Started Flowage Easement Valuation on over 500 parcels with tillable land in the Upstream Mitigation Area (UMA)
- 2021 Farmland Lease Agreements being executed with planting restrictions consistent
with construction timelines
- Policy regarding Disposition and Management of Project Land
- CCJWRD UPDATE
Mr. Dodds indicated that things continue to move forward and negotiations are ongoing.
- MCCJPA UPDATE
They will meet tomorrow and things are moving forward there as well. They are currently waiting for the Corps to complete the design work.
Mr. Olson asked if there is an option for early buyout on the Minnesota side and Mr. Dodds stated that yes, property owners do have that option.
- MetroCOG UPDATE
There was no MetroCOG update.
- OTHER BUSINESS
There was no additional business to discuss.
Mr. Breitling moved and Mr. Campbell seconded to adjourn the meeting. Meeting adjourned at 4:13 PM.