July 2019 Update from the U.S. Army Corps
The U.S. Army Corps provided an update to the Diversion Board of Authority during their July 25, 2019 meeting. The following documents were given to the board.
Diversion Inlet Structure Construction
Dewatering began the week of 18 July and will continue for up to 3 weeks. The current construction completion date is June 2023. Anticipated schedule:
- 2019: Dewatering, test pile program, complete channel excavation. 2020: Foundations/site work.
- 2021: Concrete piers/abutments. Control building.
- 2022: Install bridge deck, gates, and operating machinery.
- 2023: Paint gates, seed.
- 2024: Turf established.
Wild Rice River Structure Construction
The Request for Proposals (RFP) was issued on 22 July 2019. Proposals are due 5 September. The contract award is anticipated in November 2019. Required construction completion is October 2023. The structure includes 2-40 ft. wide tainter gates.
Red River Structure Design
Construction of the physical model (1:40 scale) is underway at USACE ERDC Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory, Vicksburg, MS (see reverse). The overall design schedule is dependent on physical model results and continues to be developed.
Southern Embankment – Plan B Design
Detailed design, incorporating the Plan B alignment, is ongoing. Geotechnical borings have begun, primarily on Cass and Clay County lands, and will continue as additional access is secured by the Diversion Authority. Construction of the Western Tieback is scheduled for late FY2020.
Cultural Resources Mitigation – Diversion Channel Sites
Completing further investigations of two archaeological sites along the Diversion Channel this summer. Our contractor began fieldwork in June but has incurred weather delays. Work is scheduled to resume on 29 July. The results will determine if further excavation will be required and a recommendation on this is expected at the end of August. Depending on weather and the results of the surveys, a media opportunity is being planned for the week of 19 August. (See reverse)
Federal Construction Placement Schedule – June 2019
See enclosure. Outlines placement/resources required to match assumed diversion channel completion. Will continue updating as actual funding and P3 schedule is defined.
- July 2019 Update from the U.S. Army Corps — July 26, 2019
- Construction Update – Diversion Inlet & Control Structure and Wild Rice River Control Structure — May 27, 2020
- USACE Awards $59 Million Contract to Build Wild Rice River Control Structure — November 28, 2019
- Diversion Authority receives ND phased permit for Wild Rice River Control Structure — August 23, 2019