Diversion Board of Authority
Monthly Meeting from May 28, 2020
METRO FLOOD DIVERSION AUTHORITY
May 28, 2020
1.CALL TO ORDER
A virtual meeting of the Metro Flood Diversion Authority was held Thursday, May 28, 2020, at 3:30 PM with the following members present via telephone or videoconference: Fargo City Mayor Tim Mahoney; Fargo City Commissioner Tony Grindberg; Moorhead City Council Member Chuck Hendrickson; Moorhead City Council Member Shelly Carlson; Cass County Commissioner Mary Scherling; Cass County Commissioner Chad Peterson; Cass County Commissioner Rick Steen; Clay County Commissioner Kevin Campbell; Clay County Commissioner Grant Weyland; Cass County Joint Water Resource District Manager Rodger Olson and West Fargo City Commissioner Mike Thorstad.
Moorhead Mayor Johnathan Judd and Fargo City Commissioner Dave Piepkorn were absent.
2. MINUTES/ORDER APPROVED
Mr. Hendrickson moved and Mr. Peterson seconded to approve the minutes from April 23, 2020. Motion carried.
3. AGENDA ORDER APPROVED
Executive Director Paulsen requested that Item 9.c. Oak Grove Amendment be moved to the Consent Agenda at the recommendation of the Finance Committee.
Mr. Steen moved and Ms. Carlson seconded to approve the agenda as amended. Motion carried.
4.CONSENT AGENDA APPROVED
Mr. Steen moved and Mrs. Scherling seconded to approve the consent agenda as amended:
• Approve Item 9c Oak Grove Amendment (Attachment 05)
On a roll call vote, the motion carried unanimously.
5.EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR UPDATE
Executive Director Paulsen provided a review of costs to date. The current costs to date are $554 million. The majority has been expended on land, legal and financial.
Cost savings have been recognized in consultant contracting services as a result of COVID due to reduced travel and associated costs.
Interviews will be held on June 4th for the director of engineering position.
The P3 RFP Draft #5 will be completed in late June.
6. USACE PROJECT UPDATE
Ms. Williams provided the following project updates:
1. Diversion Inlet Structure Construction Structure includes 3-50 ft. wide Tainter gates. The current construction completion date is 7 June 2023. Anticipated remaining schedule: 2020: Foundations/site work, control structure. 2021: Concrete piers/abutments, control building. 2022: Install bridge deck, gates, and operating machinery. 2023: Paint gates, seed. 2024: Turf established.
2. Wild Rice River Structure Construction Structure includes 2-40 ft. wide Tainter gates. Construction began in May 2020 with site preparation and excavation. The required construction completion is October 2023
3. Red River Structure Design Structure includes 2-50 ft. wide Tainter gates. Physical model (1:40 scale) is scheduled to be back up and running by 8 June and will be used to test a number of design alternatives. The design remains on schedule. The 35% plans and specs review by the DA is complete and the 65% review is scheduled to begin in October 2020. Final plans and specs are scheduled to be completed in September 2021.
4. Southern Embankment – Reach SE-1 (Western Tieback) The 95% design for the Western Tieback will be provided for DA and agency technical review on 12 June 2020. Final plans and specs are scheduled to be available late July 2020. Construction contract award could be delayed until 2nd quarter FY21 due to delays in land acquisition.
5. Southern Embankment – Reach SE-2A Detailed design is commencing and we anticipate having final plans and specifications by November 2021. Rock Island District is assisting with design for Reaches SE-2A, SE-2B and SE-4.
6. I-29 Raise Design Being designed by Houston Moore Group (HMG) and constructed by the Corps. The 90% design review is scheduled to begin on 22 June 2020. Final plans and specifications are scheduled to be available late September 2020.
7. Drain 27 Wetland Mitigation Project Design The 35% design review is scheduled to begin in August 2020. A meeting with potentially impacted landowners was held 30 April 2020.
7.GENERAL COUNSEL UPDATE
Some modifications have been made to the schedule due to COVID. The next RFP release date is June 29. The final RFP release date is September 25. Technical proposals will be completed by November 11.
Mr. Schneider played two videos that highlighted the current work along the inlet control structure and the Wild Rice River control structure.
The ND Water Coalition will be meeting on May 29.
The WTOC will be meeting on June 4; Dr. Mahoney and Mr. Paulsen will be presenting virtually.
Mrs. Scherling reviewed lands and there have been five new appraisals and 10 acquisitions; 100 formal offers and 40 leases. The mitigation plan has been submitted to the NDOSE.
Farmstead Re-establishment Plan
Mrs. Scherling stated that this was approved unanimously by the Lands Committee.
Eric Dodds reviewed the Farmstead Re-establishment Plan.
Mrs. Scherling reiterated the need for the affected property owners to be treated fairly and equally.
Mr. Olson likes the program as it assists farmers in being made whole. He feels that it has been handled and received well.
Mr. Olson moved and Mr. Campbell seconded to approve the Farmstead Re-establishment Program in a phased approach as recommended at the Finance Committee meeting. On a roll call vote, the motion carried.
a. Mr. Paulsen requested approval of TO 26, Amendment 4 I-29 raise for $305,500. These were anticipated costs for additional services.
Mr. Peterson moved and Mr. Hendrickson seconded to approve the task order. On a roll call vote, the motion carried.
b. PROGRAM BUDGET STATUS
The current status of the budget looks positive. Mr. Nicholson has been working with the PMC team to review costs and evaluate where we are as of December 2019. We are currently tracking at under $5 million.
Although the numbers are looking good, we have to stay vigilant and watch all expenditure and continuously look for ways to cut costs.
The contested case hearing will be held virtually on June 8-19.
The next meeting will be June 25 and may be in-person.
Ms. Carlson moved and Mr. Peterson seconded to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried.
- Diversion Board of Authority – Minutes from May 28, 2020 — May 31, 2020
- Diversion Authority Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2020 — November 3, 2020
- Diversion Authority Meeting Minutes – October 1, 2020 — October 12, 2020
- Diversion Authority Special Meeting Minutes – January 19, 2021 — January 21, 2021