Diversion Authority Finance Committee
4:00 P.M. – Wednesday, June 24, 2020
Diversion Authority Finance Committee
4:00 P.M. – Wednesday, June 25, 2020
1. MEETING TO ORDER
The Diversion Authority Finance Committee held a virtual meeting Wednesday, June 24, 2020, at 4:00 PM. The following committee members were present via telephone or videoconference: Kent Costin, Fargo Finance Director; Chuck Hendrickson, Moorhead City Councilman; Lori Johnson, Clay County Auditor/Treasurer; Michael Redlinger, City of Fargo Assistant Administrator; Rick Steen, Cass County Commissioner; Michael Montplaisir, Cass County Auditor; Chad Peterson, Cass County Commissioner and Karla McCall, City of Moorhead Finance Director.
Members absent: Dr. Tim Mahoney, Fargo City Mayor; Dan Jacobson, Cass County Joint Water Resource District Chairman and Tony Gehrig, Fargo City Commissioner.
Others present: Joel Paulsen, Diversion Authority Executive Director; John Shockley, Ohnstad Twichell; Eric Dodds, Rocky Schneider and Tammy Jo Taft, AE2S; Martin Nicholson, PGM, Inc. and Paul Barthel, Jacobs.
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Mr. Peterson moved to approve the Agenda as presented and Mr. Redlinger seconded the motion. Motion carried.
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Mr. Costin moved to approve the minutes from May and Mr. Montplaisir seconded the motion. Motion carried.
4.APPROVAL OF BILLS
Mr. Costin reviewed the bills for the month, which included reimbursement to Cass County Joint Water Resource District (CCJWRD) for diversion-related bills; legal services from Dorsey & Whitney and Ohnstad Twichell, P.C. law firms; reimbursement to Cass County for miscellaneous expenses for Executive Director.
Mr. Redlinger moved, and Mr. Montplaisir seconded to approve bills in the amount of $3,001,433.54, and to forward them to the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Board. On roll call vote, the motion carried unanimously.
5. FINANCIAL REPORT
Mr. Costin reviewed the financial report for May. Approximately $21,516,286 has been expended as of May 31, 2020. The total disbursed for the project to date is
$556,193,086 and the net position is $86,470,605.
Mr. Costin also reported that the audit is in the final stages of completion and will be presented at the next meeting.
Mr. Montplaisir moved, and Ms. McCall seconded to receive and file the Financial Report for May as presented. On roll call vote, the motion carried unanimously.
6.EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FINANCIAL REPORT
Mr. Paulsen reported that $30,203,000,000 has been expended to date which is approximately 22% of the budget. He anticipates more expenditures in coming months due to property acquisitions. Overall, the budget is tracking as expected.
7.RECOMMENDED CONTRACTING ACTIONS FOR APPROVAL
Mr. Paulsen reviewed the following contracting actions for approval of the committee to go to the FMDA Board of Directors for final approval:
- HMG Task Order 1, Amendment 16 – Insurance premiums $249,932
- HMG Task Order 16, Amendment 13 – In-town LOMR permit $240,480
- HMG Task Order 20, Amendment 5 – Co. roads 16 & 17 improvements $169,730
Mr. Costin moved, and Mr. Montplaisir seconded to approve the Task Orders with HMG and to forward the recommendations to the Metro Flood Diversion Authority Board for final approval. On a roll call vote, the motion carried unanimously.
8.APPROVED CONTRACTING ACTIONS
Mr. Paulsen reviewed the following Diversion Authority approved contracts:
- HMG AWD 00066, Task Order 26 – Sheyenne SPF flow model $29,800
- HMG AWD 00067, Task Order 20 – County Roads 16 & 17 improvements
- CRWUD AWD 00068 – Water Line Relocation $50,000
- BCA AWD 00069 – Soil Core Geomorphology $50,000
- IBI AWD 00070 – WP42E CO No. 5 – 2nd Street pump station $43,751
- Terracon Task Order 1, Amendment 8 – Material Testing Services $0
- Meyer WP43CD Change Order 7 – project closeout ($51,994)
Mr. Paulsen reviewed the following CCJWRD approved contracts:
- HMG Task Order 1, Amendment 6 ($55,387)
- HDR Task Order 1, Amendment 0 – MSA $0
- HDR Task Order 1, Amendment 1 – Land management services $408,000
- SRF Task Order 1, Amendment 0 – MSA $0
- ProSource Task Order 1, Amendment 7 $0
- Ulteig Task Order 2, Amendment 4 $43,000
Mr. Paulsen reviewed the following MCCJPA approved contracts:
- SRF Consulting Group MSA for Professional Services $0
- HDR Engineering, Inc., MSA Professional Services $0
9. OTHER BUSINESS
POTENTIAL COST SAVINGS
Mr. Paulsen indicated that he is getting good feedback from TAG regarding ideas for cost savings. He will have more to report at the next meeting.
Mr. Shockley indicated that the application has been completed and submitted. The closing date is anticipated to be in late September or mid-October. Mr. Shockley also stated that this is the second largest WIFIA loan in the country.
DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
Kris Bakkegard will start on July 1st as the director of engineering.
July 22, 2020 in-person
Mr. Peterson moved, and Mr. Costin seconded to adjourn the meeting.
- Diversion Authority Finance Committee – Meeting Minutes from May 27, 2020 — May 31, 2020
- Diversion Authority Finance Committee Meeting Minutes – September 30, 2020 — October 12, 2020
- Diversion Authority Finance Committee – Agenda for June 24, 2020 — June 18, 2020
- Diversion Authority Finance Committee – Agenda for October 21, 2020 — October 16, 2020