North Dakota legislation that would provide state funding for the Fargo-Moorhead Area Diversion Project if certain conditions are met will move to a House conference committee for discussion.
House Bill 1020, as amended Wednesday by the Senate, would give funding for levee and dike protection only. The Diversion Project would receive state funding after the following conditions are met:
- The Diversion Project must receive federal authorization.
- A project partnership agreement must be executed.
- A federal appropriation must be provided for the project’s construction.
- The budget for the Diversion Project must be approved by the State Water Commission.
“As I have said, our work is not over. The bill is likely to change again in conference committee,” said Darrell Vanyo, Cass County Commissioner and Chair of the FM Diversion Authority. “Both the House and Senate will get an opportunity to vote for permanent flood protection for Cass County and Fargo.”
- ND Bonding Bill Ensures Commitment to FM Area Diversion Project — January 20, 2021
- Diversion Authority Finance Committee and Board Chair recognize Sen. John Hoeven for Efforts to Move Low-Interest Project Funding Forward — May 7, 2020
- Diversion Authority, Area Leaders Laud “Monumental” Bonding and Funding Package — April 21, 2021
- ND State Engineer Approves Mitigation Plan for FM Area Diversion Project; Document outlines how Project will Mitigate Impacted Properties — June 2, 2020